Parents » Mental Health Resources

Mental Health Resources

How to Get Help for My Child

Like adults, children can experience environmental stress in school, the community and at home (e.g. Divorce, death of a loved one, community violence, school or home transitions, bullying, etc.). These stressors can often lead to changes in your child’s mood and/or behavior.  Without healthy coping skills, the emotions caused by stressors children are facing can result in challenges at school and in the home.

Signs to look for:

​• Changes in mood, behavior,
  or appearance

• Low grades

• Not wanting to go to school
  or skipping class

• Low motivation

• Irritable/easily angered

• Feelings of sadness and

Difficulty concentrating

• Changes in appetite or sleep

• Aggressive behaviors

• Loss of interest in activities
  that are enjoyable

• Feeling overly worried

What to do:

​• Contact the PSW or support staff at your child’s school for
  help with linkage to counseling services

• Apply for mental health services through one of several
  LAUSD Wellness Centers.

• Access or call 211 for additional information on
  counseling services.

Get Help Now ad

What should I do if I am worried about my child harming themselves?

If you believe that your child is thinking about suicide, approach the situation by asking. Asking is the first step in saving a life and can let them know that you are here for them and will listen. Here are some examples of how you may ask: “Have you thought about suicide?” “Sometimes when people are sad as you are, they think about suicide. Have you ever thought about it?”

If your child ever experiences immediate signs of suicide, dial 911.

School Mental Health Clinics and Wellness Centers

L.A. County Mental Health Resources

In any mental health emergency, please dial 911 immediately.

Also, please always bring any concerns regarding your child's health and/or behaviors to your pediatrician or health care provider.  You can always email Ms. Farahmand, Ms. Muckenthaler or any Emerson employee with your concern or question.

Ms. Sperber

[email protected]

Ms. Farahmand: [email protected]

Ms. Muckenthaler[email protected]